Somalia: AMISOM plays down EU budget cut concerns

The AU peacekeeping mission in Somalia has been extended by one year amid uncertainty over funding after the EU reduced its support. As a result, Kenya has threatened to withdraw its troops from the mission.

The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) was created by the African Union on January 19, 2007 as a regional peacekeeping mission with the approval of the United Nations. Its initial mandate was six months, but ten years later the mission is still alive. Since its creation, AMISOM had been fully funded by the European Union(EU) through contributions made to the African Union (AU).

So far, the EU has committed more than 575 million euros($640 million) to AMISOM, mainly to cover for allowances, costs for the police component of the mission and international and local civilian staff salaries. However, due to the rise of jihadists in Mali, the conflict in Central African Republic and the Boko Haram insurgency mainly in Nigeria and the Lake Chad region, the EU downsized its funding to AMISOM by 20 percent.

About 200 million euros cover AMISOM salaries. The African forces were reportedly receiving a monthly allowance of $828 after their respective governments deduct a $200 administrative cost per soldier.

Less money for troops

The EU cut has led to the loss of about $165 a month in each AMISOM soldier’s pocket. According to media reports, the peacekeepers in Somalia have gone for months without pay.

Annette Weber, expert on Somalia and Head of Research Division at German Institute for International and Security affairs, told DW that the 20 percent gap should be covered by the AU or UN. “It is quite a complex issue because the troop contributing countries take a certain percentage of the salaries of the soldiers for administrative costs. If the salaries are reduced, of course that is bad situation for the soldiers,” Weber said.